Joseph Brock (1922-1993) farmed 300 acres at Woodhams Farm, where we still are based today. As a mechanically-minded primarily arable farmer, some of the quieter time in the ’50s and ’60s he spent in the buying, refurbishing and selling of farm machinery along with the help of his staff. At that time he specialised in Minneapolis Molines balers and steel tracked crawlers, and also patented a sugar beet lifting device. This activity naturally grew as his sons began to join the firm, hence in 1978 ‘J Brock & Sons’ was established as a farm machinery business.
The 3 sons, Philip, Stuart and Mark grew the family business over the subsequent years, and in 2005 Stuart started the ‘wheel and tyre department’ which in 2012 became a separate company, Brocks Wheel & Tyre Ltd, often known as BWT, also trading from Woodhams Farm. Later, in 2013, Mark started trading in tractors and farm machinery separately under the name of Oakfields, which is based at Nuthampstead, near Royston.
Today, the original J Brock and Sons business remains with Philip and his 2 sons, Rick and Russell. The second-hand machinery trading side of the business has continued but is now complemented by the new machinery trading which sells Farmet machines imported from the Czech Republic and our own range of Brock machines.
J Brock & Sons’ experience and product offering have extended to the following industry categories:
- Grounds maintenance and amenity
- Local authorities
- Civil engineering
- Utility companies
- To provide solutions for the progressive arable farmer through the application of knowledge and experience acquired over many years
- To increase and develop the product offering as required, including expansion into new product areas, to establish the business name in the market as a leader in quality and service.
- To pay our suppliers promptly and recognise their contribution to our success
- To maintain exemplary levels of health and safety throughout the firm for the benefit of our customers and staff
- To reward our staff well for the excellence of their work and attention to detail
- To maintain the core values of honesty and integrity that have been a foundation for the firm, and continue them into the future